An Ocean-Minded Education
New London Magnet Schools and New England Science & Sailing Foundation (NESS) are committed to providing quality STEM opportunities that build scholars who are college and career ready utilizing the maritime tradition and rich local marine environment. Through this collaboration, we hope to realize a vision for education through ocean adventures in which students, over multiple years of school, actively enrich and engage students in scientific and engineering practices through crosscutting concepts, that lead to college and career aspirations. The learning experiences provided engage students with fundamental questions about the world, provide challenging field based experiences in the local marine and community environment, and create direct connections to relevant science locally and globally.
Ocean Literate Students
NESS programs reflect the principles set forth by “Ocean Literacy: The Essential Principles of Ocean Sciences K – 12” published in June 2005 by the National Geographic Society, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Centers for Ocean Sciences Education Excellence, National Marine Educators Association, College of Exploration. (www.oceanliteracy.org).
An ocean-literate person:
- understands the Essential Principles and Fundamental Concepts about the functioning of the ocean
- can communicate about the ocean in a meaningful way
- is able to make informed and responsible decisions regarding the ocean and its resources
The Essential Principles of Ocean Sciences:
- The Earth has one big ocean with many features.
- The ocean and life in the ocean shape the features of the Earth.
- The ocean is a major influence on weather and climate.
- The ocean makes Earth habitable.
- The ocean supports a great diversity of life and ecosystems.
- The ocean and humans are inextricably interconnected.
- The ocean is largely unexplored.”
NESS works with a variety of schools, groups, and other organizations:
Jennings Family Resource Center
New London Youth Affairs
Drop In Learning Center
Boys & Girls Club of New London
New London Recreation Department
New London Senior Center
Homeless Hospitality Center
Fish Tales, Tugs & Sails
New London Custom House Maritime Museum
Coast Guard Museum
Save Ocean Beach
CT River Watershed Council
US Sailing REACH
National Marine Education Association
New England Ocean Action Network