NESS SEA (STEM Education Ambassador) AmeriCorps Program
The NESS SEA (STEM Education Ambassador) AmeriCorps program uses national service to engage the students of New London in STEM-based ocean adventure learning. Each year, our AmeriCorps members join a national movement of over 75,000 Americans who dedicate themselves to intensive service in communities across the country. New England Science & Sailing SEA AmeriCorps members serve alongside New London Public School (NLPS) teachers to provide students with additional support, mentoring and tutoring during the academic school day. They also design and implement STEM-based, extended learning and summer programs to NLPS students and other New London community organizations utilizing marine science, adventure sports and sailing as the educational platform.
NESS SEA AmeriCorps Members serve to:
- 1. Actively ENGAGE students to learn by seeing and doing.
- 2. CREATE innovative STEM curriculum through collaboration with teachers.
- 3. PROVIDE student support through tutoring and mentoring.
- 4. EMPOWER students to discover their personal best by facing new challenges.
- 5. SHARE enjoyment of the sea and teach its science with students from all backgrounds.
- 6. ENCOURAGE students to respect and preserve their natural environment and community
The NESS SEA AmeriCorps program is a proud member of the AmeriCorps National Service Network. The program is supported by the Connecticut Commission on Community Service, a partnership between the Corporation for National and Community Service and the Connecticut Department of Higher Education.
Join Us: Serve as a NESS SEA AmeriCorps Member!
Recruitment for New England Science & Sailing SEA AmeriCorps takes place in February-June for our service year which begins in August. Successful applicants have completed at least 2 years of post-secondary education, a passion for working with underserved students, a commitment to community service, experience in leading sailing and outdoor adventures, and an interest in STEM Education.
Click here for full position description and requirements for service.